With 2016 almost here, MHCO is providing information to those interested in helping us start our 143rd year of operation off right. These updates provide valuable information on upcoming events, fundraising activities, and general information for the New Year and Financial Development.
As always, if you have any questions or need more information please do not hesitate to call our Financial Development Department at 919-603-3901 or by emailing email@example.com or visiting our website at https://mhc-oxford.org/ways-to-help/.
LOOKING FOR UPDATES REGARDING PLANNED GIVING AND ITS BENEFITS FOR DONORS, THEIR FAMILIES AND MHCO IN THE MONTHS AHEAD!
IMPORTANT REMINDER: REGARDING DONATING IN-KIND, NEED OR USED ITEMS
For many of our donors the satisfaction of providing a useful item, a need fulfilled, or a physical contribution for the care of a child is unequaled. The benefits are many and the charity a possibility for anyone. MHCO continues to support these donations and the benefits that create for the care of the children of our Home.
We are asking those considering giving in this way to note the following considerations for 2016. Specifically, these requirements will be necessary regarding in-kind, used item, or other non-monetary style giving to MHCO, starting January 1, 2016. Per the IRS and our accounting we greatly appreciate the attention and understanding of those wishing to give new or used in-kind gifts and their adherence to these measures.
- ASK BEFORE YOU COLLECT OR GIVE AN IN-KIND GIFT: Please call (888-505-4357) or email (www.mhc-oxford.org) before collecting, purchasing, or traveling to donate in-kind gifts. MHCO is obligated to make sure the work and charity of our donors can be used for the purposes of our mission and in a reasonable time frame. Reference our Needs List. Without prior notice or determination MHCO may be unable to accept an in-kind gift for the Home.
- You, the donor, must place an accurate amount of value on your donation – Whether or not you are claiming a gift for tax purposes let the organization know the value of the in-kind donation, as MHCO will need that information for accounting purposes, when they must specify in-kind donations and the value of these in-kind donations. This will help you as well as MHCO, especially if you intend on writing off your donation. Visit the IRS website which explains how to determine the fair market value of your donation and if your must complete additional forms for in-kind giving over a certain amount or if you are donating automobiles or property in excess of $25,000.
- DO NOT ASSUME A GIFT IS TAX DEDUCTIBLE OR CAN BE UTILIZED BY MHCO – Not every in-kind gift is tax-deductible. Services and volunteer hours, although welcomed and used by MHCO, generally cannot be written off. IRS Publication 526 outlines what types of donations can be deducted and how to claim a deduction.
- IN-KIND GIVING CANNOT REPLACE TRADITIONAL GIFTS — As valuable as in-kind gifts and need items are – and they are valuable and needed – MHCO relies on the flexibility of unrestricted cash donations and must have them to survive and continue to serve children apart from their families.
PLEASE REMEMBER – these requirements will be necessary regarding in-kind, used item, or other non-monetary styles of donating to MHCO, starting January 1, 2016. Call MHCO and the Financial Development Department for questions or more information or anything regarding giving via in-kind gifts.
5th Annual Great Landscape Set for March 19, 2016
THE MASONIC HOME FOR CHILDREN AT OXFORD – 5th ANNUAL “GREAT LANDSCAPE”
Lend a hand and invite your Lodge Members, family, and friends to help make the homes of our children beautiful and ready for the spring. You can make our campus beautiful, give to the Home of a child, gather a group together for a day of service and beautification that will last well beyond a Saturday.
When: Saturday, March 19, 2016 – (NO RAIN DATE THIS YEAR – CALL FOR UPDATES!)
Where: Campus of Masonic Home for Children, 600 College St., Oxford, NC
Schedule: 7:30am – 9am – Continental Breakfast
8:30am – 12:00pm – Landscaping Event on Campus*
12:00pm – Lunch and Conclusion of Event
* Groups can start after 8:30am and/or leave before 12pm if needed. Please bring shovels, gloves, wheelbarrow, rakes, and other landscaping implements for your personal use. A needs list of items that can be given as part of the event is available at www.mhc-oxford.org.
You must RSVP and sign-up on or before March 9, 2016 to participate and include the number attending. This is very important to make the most of this day. To RSVP or for more information contact MHCO at 1-888-505-4357/919-693-5111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.